WELCOME - This blog is brought to you by Green Shoots (Gardening & Horticulture) which provides garden design, maintenance and planting services in Manchester and surrounds. All gardening is undertaken by an experienced gardener and plantsman.

Monday 28 February 2011

Good plant #9 - Narcissus


I love daffodils - all dwarf and mini varieties virtually. Maybe it's because I've got some welsh ancestry ;^) In the flower world, it is such a cheerful plant in whites, yellows and orange (occasionally pink) colours and combinations.

Some of the early varieties herald the start of spring. Whilst others bridge that awkward period between spring and summer blooms.

I tend to go for dwarf and mini varieties because the large varieties blow over in strong wind. Saying that, my favourite daffodil of all is a medium/ large one but is a late flowerer - Narcissus 'Pheasant's Eye'. If you buy this one, I recommend you elevate it slightly (in a planter) as the flowers point downwards slightly, hiding their 'faces'.

I buy all narcissus bulbs in autumn and plant them in well drained grit and compost (as much as 30:70) much closer together than recommended to create more natural looking groups. When they are just sprouting, I plant them in gaps in herbaceous borders. After they have flowered but before the leaves have browned off, I feed them with superphosphate to maintain their vigour for the next year.

Use the 'SEARCH THIS BLOG' function (right) or click here for more good plants and gardening tips: http://greenshootsgardeningandhorticulture.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment